Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sounds of Section 312.


A few weeks ago, I was asked who my favorite player was on this year's Syracuse basketball team. To be honest, I was stumped. Jonny Flynn is the superstar, Arinze Onuaku is the powerful low-post, Andy Rautins is the Great White 3-Point Hope, and Eric Devendorf is three times better than Chris Quinn. Every player seems to have something unique about them, something that I can appreciate. Even Sean Williams, with his ability receive tens of thousands of dollars a year from Syracuse University and provide nothing in return.

Today, though, I finally found my answer: Paul Harris.

It's not because of his knack for rebounding (though he has that), or his improved offensive game (he's got that too). It's because Paul Harris is Paul Harris. He eats popcorn during games, he tosses his headband into the stands after a big dunk, he releases his own rap videos on YouTube, he even shoots 3-pointers whenever he damn well pleases, just because he can (couldn't find a video link for that last one. hmm...). He's an entertainer. Take your eyes off Harris for one second of a game, and you're likely to miss something, or turn around to see a sweatband hurtling towards your face.

Jim Boeheim certainly rarely takes his eyes off Harris, and last night, the Hall of Fame coach offered Paul on of his fiercest toungue-lashings since "10 Fucking Games" in 2006. You see, Jimmy B. isn't as big a fan of Paul's propensisty for perimeter shooting, and let him know about it after an errant 3 midway through the second half (it should be noted, Syracuse grabbed the offensive rebound and Flynn immediately hit a 3 of his own).

Boeheim walked halfway to mid-court during a Rutgers timeout, waving his arms and sharing his general feelings with Harris. Coincidentally, I planted a microphone near the court and was able to hear the entire conversation from my perch in section 312 (pictured above):

Boeheim: Paul, I strongly disagree with your insistence on continuing to attempt 3-pointers, despite only succeeding 26.3% of the time.

Harris: I respect your opinion, Jim, but I think I will continue to do whatever it is that I please.

Boeheim: Paul, you'd really be better off driving to the basket, or ...

Harris (eyes begin wandering into the crowd): How high do you think I could throw my headband into the stands?

Boeheim: Paul, are you even going to pretend to listen?

Harris: I'd say at least the 200 level. Maybe 300 if I really wind up.

Boeheim: Remember what I told you about screwing around during games?!

Harris: Maybe I could use it as a slingshot. That'll add distance.

Boeheim: Paul!!

Harris (runs back onto court, adjusting headband for optimal grab and sling): Later, Jimmy.

Boeheim: Motherfucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment